You are learning about Can You Make Mashed Potatoes With Red Potatoes, today we share with you content about Can You Make Mashed Potatoes With Red Potatoes ] was compiled and edited by our team from many sources on the internet. Hope this article on the topic Can You Make Mashed Potatoes With Red Potatoes is useful to you.
|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
Show Full Nutrition Label
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||19%|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Vitamin C 21mg||103%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Lower in starch than other potatoes, red potatoes hold their shape better and are a great potato for boiled recipes and soups that require prolonged cooking times. Although reds are usually not a potato that you’d make a “mash” of, our recipe for smashed red-skinned potatoes is a quick alternative to the old potato salad or the classic mashed potatoes with butter.
Boiled and unpeeled, the potatoes are mixed with creamy half-and-half, butter, and seasonings, and simply smashed with the help of a fork. No need for special devices or mashers, as the boiled potato’s texture gives away to the fork with little effort, keeping some of its firmness and bite. We prefer to keep the skin to add color and some crunch, but peeled potatoes work as well.
Wonderful as a side dish for pork chops, grilled chicken, fish nuggets, or carne asada, this dish also travels well for potlucks or picnics and remains delicious the day after.
See our tips and variations for more flavor alternatives and substitutions.
2 pounds small to medium red potatoes
4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 to 1/2 cup milk, or half-and-half, warmed
1 dash salt
1 dash freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Fresh chopped parsley, or chives, for garnish
Gather the ingredients.
Scrub potatoes and cut into small chunks.
Put potatoes, a teaspoon of salt, and the sliced garlic in a medium saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking until the potatoes are tender, or about 20 minutes.
Heat half a cup of milk or half-and-half until barely hot.
Remove the potatoes from the heat and drain well. Pour them into a bowl and mash with the butter and add the heated milk or half-and-half.
Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
If using, garnish the potatoes with fresh chopped parsley or chives.
Other Flavor Combinations for Your Potatoes
If you want to try other flavor combinations for your potatoes, here are a few suggestions:
- Cheddar and Onion: Omit the garlic, if desired, and add 3/4 to 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup of finely chopped green onion tops before mashing.
- Gruyere and Garlic: Add 1 cup of shredded Gruyère cheese along with the hot milk; mash and proceed with the recipe.
- Garlic and Pesto: Omit the butter and add 1/4 cup of prepared pesto and 3 tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan cheese along with the hot milk. Mash and proceed with the recipe.
- Dill and Sour Cream: Instead of hot milk, add sour cream or part sour cream (preferably at room temperature) to the potatoes before mashing. Add a tablespoon or two of freshly chopped dill.
- Roasted Pepper: Blend the milk and half-and-half with 1 cup of roasted peppers. Use the sauce as a dressing for the potatoes.
- Light Version: Cut back on the calories by half milk and half chicken broth instead of all milk or half-and-half. Alternatively, skip the dairy altogether by using olive oil as a binder and adding more fresh herbs like cilantro, dill, or parsley.
Video about Can You Make Mashed Potatoes With Red Potatoes
How to Make Mashed Red Potatoes
The best homemade Mashed Red Potatoes recipe is creamy with butter, olive oil and garlic. Easy enough for a busy weeknight, but delicious enough for holiday meals like Christmas and Thanksgiving.
Question about Can You Make Mashed Potatoes With Red Potatoes
If you have any questions about Can You Make Mashed Potatoes With Red Potatoes, please let us know, all your questions or suggestions will help us improve in the following articles!
The article Can You Make Mashed Potatoes With Red Potatoes was compiled by me and my team from many sources. If you find the article Can You Make Mashed Potatoes With Red Potatoes helpful to you, please support the team Like or Share!
Rate Articles Can You Make Mashed Potatoes With Red Potatoes
Rate: 4-5 stars
Views: 14 312042
Search keywords Can You Make Mashed Potatoes With Red Potatoes
Can You Make Mashed Potatoes With Red Potatoes
way Can You Make Mashed Potatoes With Red Potatoes
tutorial Can You Make Mashed Potatoes With Red Potatoes
Can You Make Mashed Potatoes With Red Potatoes free
Có thể bạn quan tâm:
- What Kind Of Food Do They Eat In Scotland Scottish Food Doesn’t Get More Traditional Than With a Stovies Recipe