You are searching about How To Season A Wok For The First Time, today we share with you article about How To Season A Wok For The First Time ] was compiled and edited by our team from many sources on the internet. Hope this article on the topic How To Season A Wok For The First Time is useful to you.
While many types of woks are available today, carbon steel is still the best. With proper treatment, it will last forever.
Time Required: 45 minutes
- Wash the wok in hot water with a small amount of liquid detergent and a scrubber (such as a stainless steel sponge or pad).
- If needed, scrub the exterior of the wok with the scrubber and an abrasive cleanser. Do not use the abrasive cleanser on the inside of the wok.
- Rinse the wok and dry thoroughly.
- Place the wok on high heat.
- Move the wok, turning it and tilting it up to the rim and back, until the metal turns a blueish-yellowish color.
- Remove the wok from the stove element. Turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Add a thin film of oil (about 1 1/2 teaspoons) over the entire inside surface of the wok. There are several ways to do this. One is to use a paper towel to rub the oil over the surface. You may want to use tongs to hold the paper towels. Another way is to use a basting brush for barbecues or any other heat-proof brush to brush on the oil.
- Heat the wok on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Wipe off the oil with another paper towel. There will be black residue on the towel.
- Repeat steps 7 through 9 until no black residue comes up on the paper (about 3 times). The wok is now ready to use.
- Flat bottomed woks are better for electric ranges. Round-bottomed woks can reflect heat back on the heating element, damaging it.
- It is important to thoroughly clean the wok to remove the manufacturer’s protective coating.
- In general, it is better not to purchase a non-stick carbon steel wok, as the high heats required for Chinese cooking may damage the non-stick coating.
- If you do purchase a non-stick wok, follow the seasoning and cleaning instructions carefully, or you may damage the coating.
Video about How To Season A Wok For The First Time
How to properly season your new first WOK | Wok seasoning
BUY A PROFESSIONAL WOK
BUY AN AFFORDABLE WORK –
BUY WOK CLEANER BRUSH
ALWAYS IN MY KITCHEN (affiliate):
Chef knife https://amzn.to/3duY0Ls
Cutting Board https://amzn.to/357vMTc
Ring light https://amzn.to/3lT9trm
Blender https: //amzn.to/2HdJA6E
Our Dinner Set https://amzn.to/3iZjvoN
Kitchen Scale https://amzn.to/3lR6MX9
Hand Mixer https://amzn.to/3k4NflH
My Favourite Cutting Board https://amzn.to/3k3OaTp
Knife Block Set https://amzn.to/34YJ5p4
My Favourite Wok https://amzn.to/3j45mHd
Garlic Chopper https://amzn.to/37dbkmv
Handheld Easy Egg Cracker Separator https://amzn.to/3duvA4r
Digital Meat Thermometer https://amzn.to/3k4Wkej
CAMERA I USE:
GO PRO 8 https://amzn.to/3duuF3Z
GO PRO 9 https://amzn.to/31cIMG8
IPHONE X S MAX https://amzn.to/3j7GQVs
THINGS IN MY WORK STUDIO
PC TABLE https://amzn.to/3j5RtYV
TABLE LIGHT https://amzn.to/2FxGXMg
SELFIE STICK https://amzn.to/3k2t73G
MINI TRIPOD https://amzn.to/31e6AJD
GO PRO TRI POD https://amzn.to/3k7oy87
WIRELESS KEYBOARD https://amzn.to/3k3yWh3
So you’re the owner of a brand new wok, which means you can take that thing right out of the box and start chopping veggies for a chicken chow mein, right? Wrong! Woks require some tender love and care, but don’t worry; we’re here to help get you started! This article will provide you step-by-step instructions for how to initially clean a wok, season a wok, and care for it so you can maximize its performance, maintain its condition, and start making all your favorite stir-fry recipes, full of flavor and aroma.
Why We Must Season a Wok
Tablecraft CW80119007 CaterWare 15 inch Carbon Steel Wok with Wood Riveted Handle
Lodge Pro-Logic P14W3 14 inch Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Wok
become thicker and heavier, ultimately creating a natural, non-stick cooking surface. This layer also adds enhanced flavor and seasoning to every meal…So let’s get started!
There are three main methods used to season a wok.
Every chef has his or her own preference regarding which method works best. Certain woks, depending on handle material, are recommended to be seasoned one way over the other to preserve the quality of the wok. All three of these methods, however, require the same initial step: The wok must be washed so the bare metal is exposed.
When manufacturers ship woks, they apply a factory oil to prevent rusting during transport, which can be caused by humidity or other environmental variables. This initial oil that is applied is not one in which you want to be cooking your food, so this is the first and virtually only time you should wash your wok with an abrasive sponge and soap.
To clean a wok for the first time, follow these steps:
Stainless Steel Standard Weight Scouring Pads – 12/Pack
Fill sink with hot, soapy water.
Scrub the inside and outside of wok with a scouring pad.
Dry wok with a clean, dry towel.
Place on stovetop over medium-high heat to completely dry the wok and evaporate any leftover water.
Now that you’ve removed all the manufacturer’s oil and have exposed the bare metal, it’s time to pick your seasoning oil or other form of lard.
How to Season a Wok
Stovetop Seasoning Method
Complete initial washing to remove factory oil.
Preheat wok over high heat until you can feel warmth radiating off the bottom of the wok from a few inches above.
You can also perform a water test by throwing a drop of water on the pan. If it’s heated enough, it’ll evaporate within a second, and it’s ready to be seasoned.
Add in about 2 tablespoons of your desired oil or lard, and reduce heat to medium-high.
If using lard, grip a towel with a pair of tongs, and completely cover the inside of the wok with lard. Once done, wipe away excess lard with a paper towel and let cool. You can now skip steps 3-8.
Add in fresh chopped ginger and scallions, or other spices of your choice.
Reduce heat to medium.
How to Season a Wok
As ginger and scallion mix start to soften, use your turner to actually spread the mixture to cover the entire surface of the inside walls, so your wok is covered from rim to bottom. Continue doing this for about 20 minutes over medium heat.
If you notice ingredients are becoming too dry or are starting to burn, add in more oil, a little at a time.
Question about How To Season A Wok For The First Time
If you have any questions about How To Season A Wok For The First Time, please let us know, all your questions or suggestions will help us improve in the following articles!
The article How To Season A Wok For The First Time was compiled by me and my team from many sources. If you find the article How To Season A Wok For The First Time helpful to you, please support the team Like or Share!
Rate Articles How To Season A Wok For The First Time
Rate: 4-5 stars
Ratings: 50 40
Views: 59 312260
Search keywords How To Season A Wok For The First Time
How To Season A Wok For The First Time
way How To Season A Wok For The First Time
tutorial How To Season A Wok For The First Time
How To Season A Wok For The First Time free
Có thể bạn quan tâm: